Vaastu Shastra is pseudoscience.
I am not saying that everything in Vaastu is unscientific. There are a few simple observations like how having windows to the south would get you more light in the northern hemisphere. But these common-sense points are sprinkled on so much pseudoscientific junk that almost nothing is salvageable. Even on answers to this question, there are so many strange claims:
- History and experience shows that houses constructed with the principles of Vasthu appear more graceful, peaceful and flowing. What does that even mean?
- Opening the windows lets the sun’s early morning rays grace the food being made and enriches it with nutrients and vitamins. Whaaaat! How exactly do sunrays affect nutrients in food?
- Vastushastra is based on various natural energies. With a pentagram of five “elements” (Fire, Earth, Air, Water, Sky) to boot. All right, folks, thumb rule: Whenever someone other than a physicist (or chemist/biologist when they are talking about the physics of their fields) is using the word “energy”, they are trying to bullshit you. Also, we discarded the idea of five elements centuries ago.
- Sun gives ultraviolet rays in the morning and infrared rays in the evening. Wow. How exactly does the sun know that it is sunrise or sunset for you? You do know that when it is sunrise for you, it is sunset for someone else right? The only real difference is that in morning and evening, the sun’s rays have to travel through more of the atmosphere to reach you and thus the higher frequencies of light get scattered and absorbed away. Remember learning why the sun looks redder at sunrise and sunset? The consequence is that the sun rays reaching the earth contain less UV (in fact, less of all frequencies — but relatively more reduction of UV) both in the morning and evening, contrary to the claim.
- We can be prosperous and live in harmony by eliminating negative energies and enhancing positive energies around us. Once again, negative/positive energy is a dangerous word — unless a physicist is using that word, they are taking you for a ride.
- India has a lot of poverty because of the Himalayas in the North which is against Vaastu. I don’t even…
- Do not keep a mirror on the northern side of the bedroom. This will make sure that you are always thinking about the troubles and it will also make sure that your troubles are being projected back at you. Do you see any science in that? I don’t
And we have not even got into the really crazy stuff like this
Even if we ignore the pseudoscientific claims for the moment, much of the supposed natural scientific foundations for Vaastu are not even applicable today. If the claim is that Vaastu decides the position of the kitchen based on fires, what relevance does that have in the modern world?
There is another issue. Climate is not homogeneous across the world or even in India. Keeping a window to the north would have very different consequences in equatorial, coastal Trivandrum compared to hilly, northern Nainital. A one-size-fits-all Vaastu theory is thus completely unscientific.
Finally, there is the issue of tradition — one of the same gripes I have with Ayurveda. If something is old, how does that mean it is better? Isn’t the refusal to update itself with knowledge a negative for science and technology? You wouldn’t buy a computer based on 1980s technology for daily use. Why then use centuries and millennia-old medicine and architecture based on protoscience when our knowledge of these fields has grown considerably in the meantime? If a scientific discipline is still using the five elements and three doshas as the foundation in the twenty-first century, why is anyone taking it seriously?
Is it pseudoscience?
Vastu shastra (vāstu śāstra) is a traditional Indian system of architecture originating in India which literally translates to “science of architecture.” These are texts found on the Indian subcontinent that describe principles of design, layout, measurements, ground preparation, space arrangement, and spatial geometry. Vastu Shastras incorporate traditional Hindu and in some cases Buddhist beliefs. The designs are intended to integrate architecture with nature, the relative functions of various parts of the structure, and ancient beliefs utilizing geometric patterns (yantra), symmetry, and directional alignments. Vastu Shastra is the textual part of Vastu Vidya, the latter being the broader knowledge about architecture and design theories from ancient India. Vastu Vidya knowledge is a collection of ideas and concepts, with or without the support of layout diagrams, that are not rigid. Rather, these ideas and concepts are models for the organization of space and form within a building or collection of buildings, based on their functions in relation to each other, their usage, and to the overall fabric of the Vastu. Ancient Vastu Shastra principles include those for the design of Mandir (Hindu temples), and the principles for the design and layout of houses, towns, cities, gardens, roads, waterworks, shops, and other public areas.
Meta Physical Science or we can say it is ancient Indian Science of Geomancy. It is at least ten thousand years old science. Vastushastra is the implementation of ancient doctrines in the internal structure and layout of the building while it is being built. These doctrines and principles form the fundamentals of Vastushastra. Any viable science has to be based on the principles of nature and Vastushastra is not an exception to this rule.
Vastushastra is a science that synchronizes the balance between human life & nature. “The five basic elements, the eight directions, the electromagnetic field, gravitational forces of the earth, the cosmic energy emanating from the planets as well as the atmosphere and its influence on the human life on earth have been taken care of into consideration in the Vastushastra”. It is a science of establishing harmony with nature, its study of the soul to the universe. Our Vedas such as Atharvaveda in form of Sthapatyaveda, Muhurtamaetanda which deals with Structural engineering, Matsya Purana., Brihatsamhita, Mayamatam, and so on. Mayasur and Vishwakarma was the main founder of Vastushastra. Vishwakarma is known to be the deity of architecture and he had designed band built the golden place for Lord Shiva which was later given Rawana by Lord Shiva, many famous and ancient temples of India were designed and architected by Vishwakarma. These temples are still intact and sustained various earthquakes and floods.
So Indian Vedic Vastushastra is an ancient rational science. Shastra itself means a science. On rational notes few facts are herewith that it is science: It’s rational cause and relationships with directions and their features respectively, It is practicable and has permanence as five elements, directions, electromagnetic fields, gravitational force everything has permanence hence the Vastushastra also has permanent correlation and their effects on our Vastu is there always.it's universal also to be applicable everywhere be it any place. The guidelines of Vastushastra are very much related to the Law of energy conservation in form of five elements the earth, sky, water, fire, and air which are self-existent and when they combine with each other in a particular proportion and a new creation of each comes to existence.
Vastushastra not only has an effect on place or home but also a human residing in that Vastu also get affected by the Vastu positiveness or Vastu doshas as the human body is also made-up of these five elements and merged into same. The food chain started from seeds into the soil, watering them, or through rain, the sunlight, inhaling of carbon dioxide exhaling of oxygen then transformation of shoots into the plant, growth of plant into a tree all under these five elements. The water cycle through the sun its ultraviolet rays, steam, and clouds, raining. Spectrophotometric analysis of sunrays the theory proves that northeast ultra violet morning rays are good for health, water reservoir, the house in northeast direction should light in weight and open to the sky, southwest to be enclosed as afternoon infrared rays get harmful, it makes the pulse in Vastu dry and dull. There should not be underground water storage in the southeast, south n southwest as the increased absorption of infrared rays which are highly hazardous to human life. Finally, the inclined state of the North-south axis of the earth is inclined to the east by 23 degrees. So that’s the basis when it is said that the Northeast should be light and open. The southwestern part should be as heavy as possible because our building s just a tiny part of the earth which is called the atom language of science The atom has all the qualities of which are inherent in the main element or in other words all the qualities of the main elements are reflected in every atom of the relevant element. This principle is followed by keeping northeastern light and open, southwestern heaviest. The earth rotates around itself and so each building also rotates, thus each building located at a specific place moves forward. But at the same time, another building takes its place for n which the Vastushastra principles are followed and balance of energy, elements for harmony, health and wellbeing of Humankind is taken care of. Simple Harmonic motion theory proves that Vastushastra correctly advises for square or rectangular Vastu or home or office for achieving the balance of energies for positive pulse and vibrations. I hope am able to convey that Indian ancient Vastushastra is a rational science and applicable to each Vastu on earth.
Unfortunately, most people in this modern era feel low to be linked to the ancient sciences. No doubt, they end up suffering and still refuse to accept the fact that the panch-tattvas (five-elements), the balance of nature, the directions, and the creation of a positive atmosphere are most important for healthy living.
Vastu Shatra can be verified experimentally or related with certain combinations in the house as mentioned here:-
- Presence of fire element (gas stove) or red color in the North-East direction? The residents could be seen being aggressive and quarreling as the fire element is placed in the brain of the house.
- Present of water element (water boring) or blue/black color or big mirror in South-East direction? The residents could be facing a financial crunch, maybe losses or theft, and experiencing blockages at the final point as the fire element is disturbed.
- Presence of toilet/kitchen, red/green color, washing machine, etc. in South-West direction? Relationships and stability would have gone for a toss in that particular house.
Many other instances which can be related to Vastu Shastra prove that “Every direction has a specific purpose and relates to a specific element of nature. If we oppose the purpose of that particular direction or place an activity which is against nature, it will disturb the panch tattvas of the house, which we call as Vastu defect.”
Thus, Vastu of the space must be designed keeping in mind the
- Elemental balancing
- Allotment of activities as per directions
- Placement of objects and colors as per related directions
- Sync with nature in terms of airflow, daylight, and ventilation
Thus, Vastu Shastra is a magical science, which roots in ancient times but has coped much well with the modern era to benefit the people. Vaastu Devayah Namah has been making all the possible efforts to take this hidden knowledge to every doorstep so people don't remain in fear or be wrongly led by the half-baked knowledge of Vastu being sold on every street.